Tuesday 28 July 2009

Identity issues....

I was talking to someone about potential conflict when you feel split between different worlds. As he explains in his blog http://michael-contemporarymusings.blogspot.com/, he is half English, half Indonesian. Both of my parents are from Pakistan, but I don't really feel much of an affinity for the country. I'm very much a Londoner, born and bred. Waving flags and singing national anthems makes me cringe. If Lord Tebbitt wants to apply his cricket test to me, I'll tell him I don't care if England or Pakistan wins the match, cricket is boring. I'm not pulled between two different worlds because I don't really fit into either. I'm very religious compared to my English friends, but compared to my muslim friends of Pakistani descent, I'm v liberal. I've trained to be a scientist, but don't want to follow that field anymore.

Basically, I feel a bit all over the place. Or maybe I'm just eclectic, and interesting.

"I am large, I contain multitudes" as Whitman would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment